knox snooze

Succotash my Balzac, dipshiitake.

Things that don't make me feel better about me

I love the Writer's Almanac. Who wouldn't like to sit down and listen to Garrison Keillor read a poem everyday?

Except today. Because today is the birthday of Stephen Crane. Stephen Crane who played baseball, and decided to become a sports writer. Who decided to write a book about a disgraced young woman and a book about a somewhat unwitting war hero, two things he never was, and managed to write them as well as anyone ever had. Who became a war correspondant and survived a shipwreck, which inspired him to write one of the best short stories in the English language.

And who, by the time he was my age, had written just about everything he ever would.

And all I got is this blog, damn it.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment