knox snooze

Succotash my Balzac, dipshiitake.

Progress: run a what now?

So, I haven't done any *actual* running since I decided to enter a marathon next year. And, while I've heard running is a somewhat significant part of training for a marathon, I don't want to get burnt out. You know, like Barry Sanders did. That would be tragic.

I did manage to take a little bike ride on Saturday, though. It was over 10 miles, but it's exercise benefits were probably marginal at best. Especially when one considers the two egg mcmuffins (hey, I needed fuel and they're cheaper than gas) I wolfed down before the ride and the pizza and pints I had afterward.

Sunday: nada. Unless you count the laps across the house as I spent half an hour with the geniuses at the New Delhi Radio Shack Belkin, trying to re-install my router. At one point, their solution was to uninstall Firefox and use only Internet Explorer. Because my browser might be screwing up the router? I suggested it might be because I was wearing pants. Because I like to think getting naked fixes everything.

Today: so far, not much. My wife came to my office for lunch and we walked about a mile. I've eaten pretty well (veggie lasagna, apple, Naked Juice), and if I pretend I didn't have a cigarette and a fritter after class this morning, then I'm doing pretty well.

My buddy Pervis was down for the weekend and gave me some enlightening tips on training for a marathon. He's completed four marathons and has that annoying lean, tall build that makes me want to just beat the hell out of him for being healthy. Which I totally could do if I could only catch him.

So, per the advice of Perv, I'm getting a subscription to a magazine, training with a buddy (Meine Frau), focusing on cross-training as well as running, and scheduling a race or two between now and the marathon.

Pervis, does smoking a cigarette while walking count as cross-training? What if I'm wearing trail-runners?
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

11/08/2005 7:15 PM Blogger Brian R Dunn

as the jack-a-lope on the Bob Sagat hosted America's Funniest Home Video's used to say "fast as fast can be, you'll never catch me!"

Kudos to you and Faith for deciding to run the marathon!! I'm behind you all the way (from in front of you)!!    



» Post a Comment