knox snooze

Succotash my Balzac, dipshiitake.

Feelin' Groovy

I went out to dinner with some friends for my friend Julie's birthday on Saturday night. Her birthday (pronounced: BERFDAY!) was actually Wednesday, but that doesn't matter. The thing you need to understand is that birthday, for Julie, is a season. Like Spring, only longer. With more drinking. We get along well.

We went to Pasta Trio, which might be the best place to eat in Knoxville. Possibly. I'm not committing here.

Anyway, after a long and expensive dinner (someone else paid - w00t!) we headed from there to the Corner Lounge, which is classy as hell, in case you didn't know. They have Miller Light AND High Life. Which is like...50% of the beer in the whole world. They should advertise that more, I think.

There was music. The band was The Nairobi Trio, who were pretty good, actually, though I'm pretty sure I could whip them in an arm wrestling match. Which I may or amy not have challenged them to. Things got fuzzy.

One thing I remember distinctly is that the lead singer started the second set with some acoustic stuff. You know, sitting-on-a-stool-at-the-front-of-the-stage kind of stuff. He played Simon and Garfunkel. I became...how to say this...aroused.

You should know this. When I was in college (version 1.0 - the JBC years), I had S&G's greatest hits CD. I played the hell out of it. It's the first CD I ever bought. I knew (and still pretty much do) every damn note, beat, break, and lyric on the whole album. I used to listen to it in a car with my friend Homer, who also had the album, only on tape. His tape player was a POS, so as we listened, the speakers would cut out for a minute or two, and then come back on - the tape having never stopped playing. Once, the speakers quit working for a full song and a half, and when we hit a bump and they came back on, we were on key and at exactly the right lyric. If I had a superpower, it would have something to do with remembering the words to the songs on this album.

So when Roger from The Nairobi Trio began singing "America," I had no choice but to sing it as well. Only louder. Because my other superpower, if I had two, would be incredible drunken volume.

I was moved. I shed a tear. I demanded more. I think people left because of me. Try not to be jealous.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

10/06/2005 12:19 AM Blogger Brian R Dunn

Life itself was created for moments like those. Thanks for sharing.    



» Post a Comment