knox snooze

Succotash my Balzac, dipshiitake.

Graduate Workshop: The drinkening

I spent yesterday evening in my first graduate fiction-writing workshop. I was prepared for ├╝berseriousness and getting right down to it. Which we did, I guess, but not in the way I expected. It was totally normal - just like the undergrad workshops I took. Only with more grown-ups.

I'm not sure why I was expecting something different. I've been part of the Professional Association of English Majors long enough to know that all the stereotypes of pretentious, high-falutin', tweed-wearing professor wannabes are actually perpetuated because we need to keep jobs. The grammar fascism and obsessive deconstructionismm is just a smokescreen we put up with the hope that no one will notice we just read stories and poems for a living.

One major difference between the undergrad and grad workshops: last night we went out for drinks after class. What a racket. I'm never leaving.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

8/25/2005 10:36 PM Blogger T Gut

count me in a-hole. reading and drinking.    



» Post a Comment