knox snooze

Succotash my Balzac, dipshiitake.

Crunch-hiss

I had my first flat of the pedal-commuting era last night. I was crossing the river on the South Knoxville Bridge (or whatever the hell it's called now) when I heard the unmistakable crunch of broken glass, followed by the hiss of a bike tire spinning all of its breath out.

I thought, this can't be too bad. Just a flat rear tire. I can fix this.

Said the idiot.

After being picked up by my lovely wife, and tossing the two-wheeler into the back of my trusty pickup (complete with white aluminum camper top - klassy), I drove to Wal-Mart for a new tube. Then, on the front porch of a friend's house, successfully wrangled the rear wheel off and removed the old tire and tube. I unpacked the new tube, and slapped it all back together without too much trouble. I was happy.

The bike went back into the truck, and off I went to the gas station to inflate my newly installed tube. At the gas station, though, I had trouble with the handle of the tailgate. A lot of trouble.

Now, those of you who know me well, may think of me as a rather decent non-violent sort of person. But those of you who know me really well (see also: wife, former landlords, annoying pets) know the idiotic, blind, and (surprise) totally irrational rage that gurgles to the surface when things get very, very, very frustrating. Bleeding knuckles and corresponding holes in laundry room walls style.

So, of course, I tore the handle off the tailgate. Broken. Snapped off, pondered in the hand, and hurled back into the truck with a curse. Or eleven.

Fortunately, I have a camper top. This keeps my bike dry. Also, it keeps my bike in the back of the truck until I replace the tailgate handle.

I collected myself (I was all over the place), dropped my 50 cents into the air compressor, pulled the hose into the back of the truck and inflated the tire. And the I heard the hiss. New tube: busted.

So yeah, I drove to work today.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

6/22/2005 9:10 AM Blogger pa7m3r

sorry man, wanna go to the games? It looks like right now we are up for it.    



» Post a Comment