knox snooze

Succotash my Balzac, dipshiitake.

When the blind lead the apathetic

I'm not too proud to tell you that I am currently taking a freshman-level geography class. It's one of those things you do when you're trying to finish an undergraduate degree after years of flipping through the course timetable and going, "Cinema Studies? You watch movies for class? Hell yeah, I'm signing up for that."

This geography class is a special kind of frustrating, though. I've been *back* in school for four years now, taking my sweet time finishing (I've got the marriage and full-time employment things going on as well), and I have had plenty of time to get over the initial shock of graduate students who are my age or younger teaching classes that I still have to pass to halfway to where they are now.

I don't expect a lot of linguistic wizardry out of the TA who is teaching my geography. But she's made some pretty heinous mistakes thus far. For instance, she has referred to, in her typed overhead lecture notes: "Damned" rivers, historical "sights," and she called Southeast Asia a "biographical" transition zone.

While it is hard not to laugh out loud in class at these, they are nothing when compared to the following line from the instructions she handed out for our next assignment.
Spelling and grammar counts in this assignment.
For those of you who may not be English majors, think noun-verb agreement.

This was brought to my attention by my buddy Homer, who is clearly reading the directions to assignments way more closely than I am.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment