knox snooze

Succotash my Balzac, dipshiitake.

Oban

Though bourbon is still my whiskey of choice, I've recently been trying on some single-malt scotch. It took me a while to start. Scotch is one of those drinks that is consumed by the well-to-do in movies, and there's a part of you that thinks you ought to like it, regardless of what your first impression of it is. This impulse is probably the only reason I perservered after my first drink, which was Dewars, which is a careful blend of whiskey and kerosene for those of you who don't know.

Single-malt is altogether different. I discovered this when one of my writing instructors insisted I try the one he was drinking - Lagavulin. It was like drinking a magic marker, only delicious. It's very hard to explain, which I won't try.

Anyhow, I tried Oban at the DG&B last night. While I probably won't pair it with a pizza again, it's my new favorite. I had it with a little water, but I'm getting it neat next time.

I'm trying to think of more of a reason for mentioning this, but it just occurred to me that good whiskey is usually it's own best reason, so we'll leave it at that.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

4/10/2005 10:34 AM Blogger buddy don

welcum to the worl of sangle malt scotches. i gut started bout a year ago n tiz a passhun now. we furst tride talisker n lagavulin is our favert, but we lack near all of em. ever ones a lil differnt, so ye gut a long rode of innerestin discuvry ahed of ye.    



4/11/2005 12:38 PM Blogger Corina

Hey,

Thought you would like this post from www.5loaves.net/mark

Port Wine
Monday, April 11, 2005
It was C.S. Lewis who said "If you're seeking happiness, don't t choose Christianity, choose port wine." How do you balance in your own life the cultural messages you receive about attaining happiness with the message that the Christian life may not bring about happiness as measured by these standards?


Posted by Mark at 9:44 am | 2 comments | |    



» Post a Comment