knox snooze

Succotash my Balzac, dipshiitake.

MP's Best

The annual Metro Pulse "Best of Knoxville" issue is out again, so now the appropriate businesses et al can let their breath out and think, "They like me; they really like me."

It's a little disappointing to see the BoK coffee house listings. Time was, dual Cup-a-Joe locations, the Homberg incarnation of Java, and the occasional Market Square foray (read: Brazo) ruled the caffeinated roost. Now, the finalists read like:
Coffee House
Java
Starbucks
Panera
11th Street Expresso House
Old City Java is the last of the greats, and that after a stint as 195 degrees or some other boy-band sounding name. Could it be that such ubiquitous nationwide entities as $tarbuck$ and Panera Bread now offer the best coffee around? I refuse to accept it.
The old dives were dark havens of smoke-filled inspiration and shady conversation. My finest and longest lasting friendships were forged in the second floor of Java Homberg and in front of the tap at Cup-a-Joe on Cumberland. Where could I go now to recreate anything like that experience? Where can I have a finely crafted cup of coffee, a cigarette and a beer? Those places are all gone now, maybe for the best (seems I am a little better at breathing nowadays).
Old City Java permits smoking still, and maybe that's why they topped the list. 11th Street has several sheltered outdoor tables for smokers. The Golden Roast has no provisions for smokers, though they have the finest coffee and atmosphere around, and perhaps that's why they did not crack the top four. All the better. Let everyone else flock to the big chains and leave the last of the dives for me.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

5/05/2005 11:31 AM Blogger pa7m3r

word.    



5/06/2005 10:14 AM Blogger Corina

I'm a Cup Of Joe fan. But that's the only one I've been to in the Big K.    



5/07/2005 5:29 PM Blogger infozo

Both Cups-a-Joe are closed? WTF? golden roast didn't even make the cut? WTF? (golden roast regularly gives freebies to any and all askers of social justice bent). I tell ya, hell-in-a-handbasket. Yep.    



5/10/2005 3:39 PM Blogger ashby

WTF, indeed, young infojacker. And I think this is the most corporately-caffienated handbasket yet.    



» Post a Comment