knox snooze

Succotash my Balzac, dipshiitake.

Budget Crunch

Well, after spending a nice long weekend in Chicago for my birthday, and having many miles of Indiana highway upon which to think about the greater things in life, my wife and I have decided that she is going to go back to school full-time. This was brought on by doing a few calculations that had been staring us in the face for some time, but which we were unwilling to acknowledge; chiefly, that she would finish school, given her current pace, sometime in 2010.

So we're throwing her to the wolves, tightening our belts, and seeing if we can make it. Since she won't be working more than 12-15 hours a week, beginning in June, income is going to be tricky. We're tapped on financial aid of the grant and loan sort until September, and we don't really have Scrooge McDuck-like pools of gold dubloons anywhere (though, if we did, you can bet your ass I wouldn't go swimming them), so we're trying to figure out ways to save more money. It's not easy. She's made more money than me for the last four years, so we're basically trying to replace 50% of our income by spending less. Not easy. Here's what I've come up with thus far:
1. Get rid of broadband. It cost me nearly $50 a month, and I have access to a very wired university and a town full of free hot spots. In a pinch, I can always use my mobile and a data cable to get online.
2. Get rid of storage unit. I have an attic with plenty of room, and I donated the old clothes dryer I was holding onto. That's $45 a month.
3. Pay off personal loan. It's from a family member, and it's about $100 a month.
4. Ditch the gym. Again, the university has facilities that are as good or better, though they're not open 24 hours. Like I was lifting at 3 a.m. That saves $43 a month.
5. Compromise on principles and shop at Kroger more often than the local food co-op and Earth Fare. Much as I hate to admit it, going a year without organic pizza isn't going to kill me, and Totino's is a ton cheaper.


So, that's what I've got so far. You have any brilliant money-saving tricks you want to share? I'm in the market.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

4/26/2005 11:13 AM Blogger pa7m3r

Have you thought about selling your soul. There's a good market out there.    



» Post a Comment