knox snooze

Succotash my Balzac, dipshiitake.

The thrill of victory, the agony of Senate hearings

Since I can't be in front of a TV watching them, I'm keeping up with the NCAA tourney and the Senate hearings on steroid use in baseball online. So far, the hearings are killing me. I'm not very familiar with Senate protocol, but I hope that there isn't always this much speechmaking and posturing before every hearing. If there is, it's no wonder they can't get jack done.

Senator Jim Bunning (R-KY) is a hall-of-famer, so he gets a little leeway in this, but I still haven't figured out where the national crisis is in this whole situation. The MLB has some anti-trust exemptions, so I guess that means the Senate gets to tell them how to do things. I can understand they expect the MLB to be run honestly and according to the laws of the land, but some of the things they're covering so far are way, way out in left field. Left field in a different park, actually.
"If they started in 1992 or 1993 illegally using steroids, wipe all of their records out," Bunning said. "Take them away. They don't deserve them. Go ask Henry Aaron. Go ask the family of Roger Maris. Go ask all of the people that played without enhanced drugs if they would like their records compared with the current records."
I can appreciate his nostalgia for the old guard, and I even think a valid point is being made about their records, but how does this fall within his jurisdiction as a Senator? While I know it is controversial, and that things like the removal of Maris' asterisk took way too long, I hope that the editing of the MLB record book does not require an actual act of congress.

At least Bunning is talking about action. It looks like every other Representative, Senator, victim and "expert" has done nothing but chatter up the dangers of steroids. "Steroids Bad. Congress Smash." We know the dangers. We know kids look up to pro ballplayers. We're all ticked off at Jose Canseco, even if he telling the truth, because he's such a freaking tool who can't accept absence of the spotlight with dignity. Kind of like some congressmen, perhaps.

I can actually hear my tax dollars crackling up in flames.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment