knox snooze

Succotash my Balzac, dipshiitake.

Bleh

Damn, it won't stop raining here. We adopted a dog the other day, and it's been a real joy to take her outside to do her business in this frigid downpour. Also, I've been sick, and we all know there's no better medicine than following a dog around in the rain waiting for her to pee.

This dog has completely changed me already. I am used to having cats. With them it's easy. You fill a box with litter, place it in an obscure corner of the house, and they take care of the rest. The dog, Emma, is different. She treats the potty time as if it were our chance to get to know each other a little better, to have a father-daughter moment. Usually, she gets around to peeing, but that 12-second goal of our missive is never completed without the requisite sniffing around the yard and looking experimentally into the woods for 15 minutes or so.

I think it would be different without the rain. At least then I could take a book or something with me. Sure, a nice little stroll around the yard is nice, Emma, but let's face it, we both know why we're here. Let's not try to fool ourselves by pretending it's something different. Just get the peeing over with, and we can go back inside.

But in the rain, it's a special kind of punishment for both of us. We walk directly to "the peepee place" in the back corner of the yard, and there we cower undeer a deluge of large icy drops, Emma looking at me as if to say, "Is this really all there is to our relationship?" Me thinking, perhaps she'd go if I went first, thus spreading our shame around.

That doesn't work, in case you were wondering. I know, I know, it makes sense, but there's a disconnect somewhere with the dog. In the end, all you have is some dude peeing in the corner of his yard in a brutal December rain, and a small dog cowering beside him thinking, "Finally. I thought he'd never go."
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

12/09/2004 2:51 PM Blogger Benny

Now you can fully understand what it feels like to be a parent. By the way, I miss you.    



» Post a Comment