knox snooze

Succotash my Balzac, dipshiitake.

So famous, we're in-famous

I knew that a lot of people around this neck of the woods were grumbling about the proposed cuts in Tenncare, but I wasn't aware that it had really hit the national advocacy group intervention stage yet. The Seattle Post-Intelligencer (Motto: We have no idea where our name came from either) is even covering it.
"This is probably the most damaging change in a state's Medicaid program in the history of the program," said Ron Pollack, executive director of the Washington-based Families USA, a private consumer group.
Interesting that a Seattle newspaper would fail to mention that Families USA is a Washington D.C.-based organization (jump to your own irrational conclusions here).

I completely support state-subsidized healthcare for the needy and underprivileged, but I will always have a hard time feeling very bad for Tenncare recipients when benefits are changed or cut. My wife works in a Doctor's office (I did as well for awhile) in an area where 50-60% of patients receive Tenncare benefits. The abuse of benefits by patients was astounding. Many regularly walked out on co-pays, were discharged from the practice for drug-abuse, and were often good-for-nothing layabouts.

I know, that's a totally heartless attitude. I hate them for making me feel this way.

I don't think that limiting benefits to what is deemed the "least costly alternative" or a "medical necessity" is a great way to do things either, but Tenncare is choking our state, and it's a self-perpetuating nightmare in its current form.

National advocacy groups have the abusive Tenncare patients themselves to thank for the urgent need to curtail costs. If you really want change, give doctors the right to kick people off Tenncare completely. Let the people who deal with the actual problems everyday have the power to correct those problems.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment