knox snooze

Succotash my Balzac, dipshiitake.

I heart NY

Nick Corrigan writes in the current Metro Pulse about a small group of Knoxvillians known as the Utopian Street Orchestra who protested at last week's Republican National Convention in New York City.

I know another (sometime) Knoxvillian who was arrested at a protest in NYC. I don't know if I could have believed the things he told me about the arrests and jailings without hearing it from a friend I trust. He told me about being jailed for more than 24 hours without formal charges or a chance to contact his lawyer. He was kept in a cell with several other grown men, but also with 14 and 15 year-olds who were not given a chance to contact their parents. He was arrested with a delivery boy for a Chinese restaurant who was snatched off his bicycle and whose delivery was confiscated and eaten by police officers as they laughed at him.

I'm not so blind as to place all of the blame for those crimes on the shoulders of the RNC, but they can't escape some responsibility. And while they can take their share, the rest of the blame can rest squarely on the puny shoulders of Mayor Bloomberg.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment