knox snooze

Succotash my Balzac, dipshiitake.

Wilco review

Stephen Metcalf has an interesting review of Wilco, one of my favorite bands, at Slate. It is not a bad column, but it doesn't really fit well as an album review. It ends up being more of an explanation of why Wilco exists and has become something of a cultural quasi-icon. Metcalf paints their music as a kind of "Intro to Indie 101," but he is not too harsh.

His musings on the influence of Tweedy's personal idiosyncracies upon the band's sound and direction are well thought, though I don't know how well he actually describes the man. I was in a dressing room with him at Bonnaroo for about 30 seconds, and all I could think was, "Holy Shit, that's Jeff Tweedy." For what it's worth, though, he walked out of Wilco's set with a couple of songs left to play at Bonnaroo.

They still rock.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment