knox snooze

Succotash my Balzac, dipshiitake.

Basilio, the fool

I know you are on the edge of your seats wondering what I think about Tony Basilio's column in the new issue of the Metro Pulse. Think what you will about our current military involvements overseas, and about the ensuing protests and various demonstrations. Basilio attempts to gently drag Carlos Delgado across the coals for his recent refusal to stand during the playing of "God Bless America" during major league baseball games. Basilio disagrees with the action and gives it more weight than I probably would. I mean, it's not the national anthem and they don't even play it at every ballpark. Whatever.

What gets me, though, is the fact that Basilio refers to Delgado's social work in Puerto Rico as though it's another country. I know that most people don't immediately think of San Juan when they think of great American cities, but it's definitely part of this country. I tried to give Tony the benefit of the doubt as I read through the article, but the last paragraph gave it away:
He has a great love for his people, and that’s commendable. But it’s time for Delgado to show the same kind of respect for the people of this country.
This country? Tony, he's from this country. Dumbass.

Oh, and by the way, since you've now written a column about his protest, you have just legitimized it. Carlos: 1. Tony: -4
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment