knox snooze

Succotash my Balzac, dipshiitake.

Wow, if you thought election officials in Florida were bad, wait until you get a load of Monterey County, California. Local election officials there (please note the odd pop-propaganda style art) have just had their plans for the upcoming recall election finally approved by California Justice Department. See, they were trying to save some money, and those damned polling places are expensive to run ($3000 each), so they decided to scale back from 190 to 86. Also, they were planning on hiring less bilingual polling place workers (we all know how expensive they can be). This, of course, would have saved them somewhere in the neighborhood of less than $500,000. That's a lot of money to me, but I don't think it's even a drop in the bucket in Monterey County. Anyhoo, they were accused of whittling away at the polling places and polling place workers in such a way as to discriminate pretty strongly against hispanic voters. I'd say. Who in the hell thinks that hiring less bilingual workers saves money? Don't bilingual people speak, you know, BOTH English and Spanish? Wouldn't it be easier to just hire less people, but require all of them to be bilingual? I mean, maybe that's just me, but I think it makes sense.

The solution to it all, you ask? The state made them bump the number of polling places back up to 91. Stop the presses.

For what it's worth, I sure am glad I live in Tennessee, where I knew in May who was going to win an election in late September. None of this screwing around with polling places for me.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment